Mining Impact in Saskatchewan (Timeline)
Placer mining by means of a large steam dredge is undertaken
on the North Saskatchewan River near Prince Albert, but
without much success.
Richard Hall promotes a gold strike at Rotten Stone Lake.
An investigation by Consolidated and Smelting ( Cominco)
does not reveal the presence of profitable ore.
William McInnes ( 1858-1925) explore the Carrot River,
as well as the northern and eastern of the Pasqua Hills,
for the GSC.
A branch line from Hudson Bay Junction in Saskatchewan,
to the Pas, Manitoba, is the beginning of the Hudson Bay
Rail way would reach Kettle Rapids on the Nelson River
near Gillam , Manitoba in 1914. Financial complication
of World War 1 intervened and it would not reach Churchill
Manitoba, until April 3, 1929.
Churchill River between South Indian Lake, Manitoba and
Lac La Ronge is surveyed by McInnes. He finds Sulphides
containing Chalcoprite at Moose Point on the northwest
shore of Lac La Ronge , probably already known to exist
by Local Indian. This deposit will come into production
in 1966 as the Anglo-Rouyn Mine.
Mineral claims for copper are staked on sulphides in the
Lac La Ronge area. A gold rush start in the area, with
prospectors coming from all over Canada and the USA.
A rail-road bridge is built across the Saskatchewan River
at the Pas, Manitoba.
explore Wapawekka Lake, a large part of Lac La Ronge,
Nemeiben Lake, and part of Churchill River above the mouth
of the Rapid River. He survey Deschambault Lake, Deschambault
River, Grassberry River, Amisk Lake, Candle River, and
the western part of Cumberland Lake.
a prospector stakes a claim for copper and nickel west
of Robillard Bay on the north shore of Lake Athabasca,
18 miles east of Fond Du Lac.
to some sources a discovery of gold in quartz along the
north shore of Pine Channel Athabasca in this year by
a miner named Dalton is the first of free gold in the
Precambrian Shield of Saskatchewan. A short tunnel is
driven but the results are not encouraging and the project
S.C. Ells briefly examines reported asphaltic deposts
on the shores of Peter Pond Lake for the GSC.
Bruce ( 1884- 1949) starts a three- year detailed investigation
of the geology of the Amisk Lake area for the GSC. Inspired
by the discovery of gold- bearing quartz veins the previous
year, his study is designed to evaluate the economics
geology: thus, in his own words, entering a new and third
stage of exploration, the first having been the original
or pioneer ventures and the second the track surveys.
No longer does he apply the eastern names of Huronian
and Laurentain, but instead uses local names
( Amisk volcanics, Missi conglomerate, Kisseynew gneisses).
Haultain commences a survey of Lake Athabasca for the
GSC, using transit and stadia checked by means of astronomic
readings. This survey was to be complete the following
year by B.R. Mackay. Active staking and prospecting continues
on the north shore of Lake Athabasca. Charles Camsell
( 1876- 1958), who would later become Deputy Minister
of the Department of Mines, explores a route from Black
Lake to Great Slave Lake and in so doing investigates
the geology of the extreme northwestern corner of Saskatchewan
along the Tazin River. His assistance F.J. Alcock, investigates
the north shore of Lake Athabasca.
The first aircraft flight in Saskatchewan is undertaken
in Saskatoon, in preparation for the Exhibition, by C.W.
“Lucky Bob” Shaffer, stage actor, whose Curtiss
biplane crashes from about 60 feet up.
Thomas Creighton ( 1874-1949), from Ontario, arrives in
the Pas, where he teams up with the prospectors Leon Dion
and Jack Mosher to investigate the rocks between Lac La
Ronge and east of Amish Lake.
H. Geiger introduces the first successful electrical devise
capable of counting individual alpha rays; Niels Bohr
formulates his theory of atomic structure.
Further claims are stacked on the north shores of Lake
Creighton, Daniel and jack Mosher, and Leon and Isadore
Dion jointly discover free gold in quartz veins on the
northwest shore of Amisk Lake and Stacke claims for Hammell
( see 1903). Hearing almost parallel to the bedding planes
of metamorphosed sedimentary rocks produced irregular,
lenticular opening or fissures in which the ore occurs.
The value are carried chiefly as visible gold. Assays
from quartz sample in which no flakes are to be seen rarely
carry more than traces. The sulphides and arsenoslphides
re always auriferous but the values in them are not very
high. The claims, the first to be staked in the district,
become known as the Prince Albert Group, as most of the
money for the venture of developing them was raised in
that town. Native gold, visible to the unaided eye, is
reported to occur as specks and blebs in massive white
quartz. This discovery sparks a prospective rush to the
area resulting in the stacking of numerous deposits. The
Prince Albert deposit would later be mined in 1937 and
Harold Victor Dandier, backed by capital from the British
armament firm of Vickers LTD, prospects together with
John Gibbs Devlin and George Fowler fir the nickel an
the north shore of Lake Athabasca, near Fond Du Lac, from
where J.B. Tyrrell had reported norite in 1983. However
they encounter only a few stringers of sulphides and no
commercial deposits. The area is also investigated by
Alcock (GSC), assisted by camsell (see 1911), who reports
finding traces of nickel.
of the gold property on the northwest shore of Amisk Lake,
discovered the previous year by Creighton , the Dions
and Moshers begin when the Beaver Lake Gold Mining Company
sinks an inclined shaft to a depth of 70 feet. Just after
breakup, a young San Francisco engineer, Emmet R. Cullity
, accompanied by assayer Zar Crittenden of Butte, Montana
, left the railroad at The Pas to ascend the Saskatchewan
River by Steamboat to Cumberland and Namew Lakes to Shining
Bay and Sturgeon Landing, at the outlet of the Sturgeon-
weir River. From there they travelled by way of a 17.5
mile wagon road leading from Sturgeon Landing to Beaver
Landing at the inlet of the Sturgeon – weir River
in the southeast corner of Amisk Lake. At beaver Landing
the brothers Will and Jack Hayes, fishermen and freighters,
operated a cluster of log cabins as shelters for travelers.
From the Beaver Landing Cullity and Crittenden paddled
to the site of the Beaver Lake Gold Mining Company where
a number of log building had been erected. John ashby
was company clerk, Dan Milligan camp cook. A physican
Dr. Mathieson, served on the company staff. The claims
were being surveyed by J.E. Morier of Montgomery and Morier,
Prince Albert. In the vicinity of the mine was a general
store operated by the “Bannock King” Leon
H.G.Moore. a motor launch, operated by Dave Collett between
Beaver Landing and the mining camp, carried mail, supplies,
and the occasional passenger. After the prospecting team
of Creighton-Dan Mosher-leon Dion had left the camp by
September, the property was placed under the charge of
Cullity, who was responsible for mine development. The
aasay laboratory, which was operated on a custom basis,
was placed in care of Criittenden.
commences for the GSC, geological of the country in the
vicinity of Amisk Lake extending eastward along the edge
of the Paleozoic rocks toward the Hudson Bay Railway (
then reaching as far as Kettle Rapids, Manitoba). Also
visiting the area were Alcock, GSC; John Reid nicknamed
“turn ém down” Reid , an engineer from
Toronto; Bateman, the chief geologist of the Canadian
Exploration Company; and Peacock and Jamison, two mine
operators from the State of Washington.
Sales of Prince Albert discovers gold prospect located
north of North Channel at the tip of Amisk Lake. It was
developed by a 25- foot shaft and several trenches. It
became known as the Graham Mine.
Waverley island gold occurrence in the northwestern part
of Amisk Lake is staked. A.S. Davenport and E.W.Fahey
are staking claims about 1 mile north of Amisk Lake. On
the Wolverine Cliams, 2 miles north of the northeast bay
Amisk Lake and near the Prince Albert Group of claims,
a vein is traced by cross tracking for a distance of 2,000
feet. Part of it is completely stripped but no further
work is done.
Hacket and Woosley stake claims and find several gold
showing in veins on the east shore of Wekusko ( Herb)
Lake across the boundary east of Amisk Lake, in Manitoba.
the portage between the Churchill River and Lac La Ronge,
Crieghton ( see 1912) finds a pocket book entitled The
Sunless City by Joyce Emerson Preston Muddock first publish
in London in 1905. The principal character of this adventure
novel was a Professor Josiah Flintabbatey Flontin ( Flinn
Flon for Short who , after having discovered an underground
city of gold escapes back to the surface through the hole
of an volcano. The next year Crieghton would give the
name Flin Flon ( spelled Flinflon until 1929) to a lake
locally known as fishpole ( now Flin Flon) Lake on the
shore of which his party staked the Apex and Unigue claims,
Located to the east of Amisk Lake and straddling the Saskatchewan-
While his partners, Dan and Jack Mosher and Leon Dion
remain at Amisk Lake to continue prospecting and stacking
claims Creighton establishes a campsite at Phantom Lake.
He is joined by Isadore Dion and Milligan.
Einstein postulated his General Theory of Relativity.
The prospecting brothers Richard and Gordon Hall stake
a copper deposit on the northwest shores of Lac Lac Ronge
at Moose point, on the east side of Waden Bay, where mineralization
had previously been recorded by McInnes in 1908.
Graham stakes six surveyed claims ( Valley, Surprise,
Ironside, Motherlode, Golden Gate, and Chicagoff ) approximately
2.4 km north of the northeast end of North Channel, Amisk
Based on a rumour spread by one of Dardier’s men,
Devlin, that a sample of ore from near Fond du Lac yielded
a very high assay in silver, staking rush by dog team
develops. The deposit is investigated from June 27 to
July 10, by Camsell, who returns to the region in which
he had worked the year before. He travels on Lake Athabasca
using a small canoe motor borrowed from Mr. Colin Fraser
( HBC trader) at Fort Chipewyan, for the 200- mile trip.
This is perhaps the first time a canoe motor was used
for geological exploration in northern Saskatchewan.
Mining equipment is shipped by rail to The Pas and from
there over the ice by freight teams to the Beaver Lake
Gold Mining Company. The equipment consisted of a small
second- hand steam power plant, shaft sinking equipment,
and an incomplete amalgamation mill from a defunct mine
in Ontario. When it arrived, the company was out of money
and unable to re- finance. Not only was the equipment
not installed, but also no work was done on the claims
in 1915, 1916,or 1917.
At their Phantom Lake campsite Creighton, Isadore, Dion,
and Milligan are joined by Dan and Jack , Mosher, and
Leon Dion. By this time Dan Mosher had obtained financial
backing from Hammell for development of the claims at
the north end of Wolverine Lake. The work carried out
between 1915 and 1918 only showed the ore to have a below
average gold content.
Bruce continues geological mapping in the Amisk Lake-
Athapapuskow Lake area.
Most prospectors have now left the Fond Du Lac Area because
they failed to find any silver.
An Indian named David Collins showed rock samples to Creighton’s
prospecting party which guided them to the sulphide ore
bodies on the shore of Flin Flon Lake where the Apex and
Unique claims were subsequently developed. While development
work was going on, Hammell and his wife Eola arrived at
Wolverine Lake intending to see how the work was proving
up when word reached them that Dan Mosher, whose prospecting
activities he was backing financially, had found something
promising at a location northeast of Amisk Lake. Hammell
and his wife then cancel to Flin Flon Lake. Once there
he recognized the importance of the find and soon dispacted
samples to Crittenden’s and Cullity’s custom
assay laboratory at Amisk Lake to run assays. In company
of Dan Mosher he set off for The Pas in mid- August to
register the claims. Between the time of finding the mineral
late in the summer of 1915 and freeze-up in November,
the locators of the original group of claims trenched
acroos the ore in two places and opened a few pits down
through the overburden where the cover was deep. Enough
work was done to make it apparent that there was a large
amount of ore. This activity brought on a flurry of prospecting.
One of the prospecting teams consisted of Fred C. Jackson,
civil engineer with the Hudson Bay Railway. And Sidney
S. Reynolds, experienced prospector. On their first joint
venture, they camped on top of an outcrop of a lens of
solid chalcopyrite, 35 feet wide, located just north of
the mouth of Phantom Creek. 2 miles from the northwest
arm of Schist Lake, south of the present Flin Flon, and
just east of the Saskatchewan- Manitoba boundary.
Dardier leaves Edmonton for Lake Athabasca. His party
consisted of 25 engineers, asayers, and mineralogists,
about 75 metis labourers, and included his wife and the
wife of his camp foreman. This expedition, estimated to
cost about $ 100,000, headed for Pine Channel, where camp
was set up on Dardier Island. Two Davis-calyx steam-powered
shot drills were used to obtain samples.
Dardier registers his and Reynolds’ find in Tha
Pas the “Mandy” after his ( Jackson’s)
wife. A representative of Tonopah Canadian Mines Limited,
J.E. Spurr of Nevada, after having been shown an ore specimen,
negotiated deal on behalf of his company whereby an option
would be taken on the property to develop it, with the
original owners receiving a percentage of the profits.
Operation would be by the Mandy Mining Company, a subsidiary
of Tonopah Minig Company of Neveda.
Alcock continues his studies of the geology of thenorth
shore of Lake Athabasca.
A diamond drill is brought in the ice to evaluate the
Mandy ore body, the first drill in the northern Manitoba.
Drilling and surface trenching reveals 25,000 tons of
chalcopyrite, averaging over 20 per cent copper, with
silver and gold to the value of $ 5. 00 per ton and 180,000
tons of lower grade ore consisting of mixed copper, iron,
and zinc sulphides assaying from 5 to 8 per cent copper,
20 to 30 per cent zinc with gold and silver to the value
of $ 5.00 per ton. For every $1,000 spent on drilling,
over $1,250.000 in ore was disclosed. The ore body was
too small for a smelter on the property. However owing
to the war price of 26 cents a pound for copper, it was
decided to commence operations immediately. The main difficulty
was transportation. Hauling supplies from The Pas begins
in January. Building and stables are erected and 85 miles
of winter road constructed. The mining equipment consisted
of a 125 h.p. boiler, a seven drill compressor, and a
hoist, as well as a portable sawmill for cutting for the
mine buildings.four 40 tons barges and a small sternwheeler
to handle them were built for use on Schist and Athapapuskow
Lakes. During the winter, a 60-ton tug was brought carry
freight from the end of the road to the mouth of Schist
Creek. A lock is being built on Schist Creek to overcome
shallow places and allow barges to be brought from the
mines directly to the south end of Athapapuskow Lake without
unloading. This will cut sleigh haul in half.
From now until the middle of July, when work is suspended,
two diamond drills work continuously on Flin Flon Lake
properties and a very large body of ore is outlined. However
, the ore is not of very high grade and the constituent
minerals are intimately associated. It was impossible
at the time to separate the copper and zinc minerals from
the pyrite that forms the bulk of the ore. Hence the concentration
of the ore and the shipping of high- grade concentrates
during the winter is not feasible. This metallurgical
problem would not be solved until 1927. In the meantime
Hammell is busy raising funds for the Flin Flon mining
venture. He forms an all-Canadian syndicate that includes
himself, Lawyer Alexander Fasken ( long- time director
of Excelsior Life , director of Dome Mines and Nipissing
Mining Company), prospector Dan Mosher, hotelman Frank
Currie, and a man named Hugh Ryan. Some time later David
Fasken ( wealthy Haileyburian, barrister-at –law,
lumberman, president of Northern Canada Power Company
and Northern Ontario Light and Power Company, future president
of Nipissing Mining Company) forms the Great Sulphide
Company. thus the Fasken brothers were the first financiers
to become involved in Flin Flon as a result of Hammell’s
search for the development capital. Hammell, Creighton,
Dan and Jack Mosher, along with Leon Dion, shared ownership
of Flin Flon, with Great Sulphide Company holding a 35
per cent interest.
Spring and Summer; Drilling proceeds at Dardier’s
camp, Pine Channel, but nothing of economic interest is
found. Dardier and his wife leave in the spring, and the
other crew members in late August when the camp was abandoned.
The Dominion Government sends a team of engineers north
assess the water resources of the Churchill River. A visit
to both the Mandy Mine and Flin Flon property is paid
by geology professor R.C.Wallace and J.S.Delury ( 1884-
1968) of the University of Manitoba.
Dardier returns to the Pine Channel area with some gas-engine
operated diamond drills and a small crew. They stay 10
months and work both 12 miles east and 12 miles west of
the original camp.
A contract is let to Charlie Morgan of The Pas for the
hauling, by teams pulling sleigh, of about 3,300 tons
of ore from the Mandy Mines over a distance of some 40
miles to Sturgeon Landing, at the head of Navigation,
for stockpiling. From there the Ross Navigation Company
next summer would user a steam tug and barges to ship
the ore 130 miles to the Pas whence it was sent by rail
to Trail, British Columbia, about 1 ,200 miles away. To
get the transportation of ore under way, work commences
at the end of 1916 on the establishment of three complete
sets of camps to be occupied by 110 men and 92 teams of
horses, a task accomplished in two weeks. In addition
to the teams engaged in hauling ore, a considerable number
were employed in hauling in supplies and taking out fish
from Athapapuskow Lake. At least 120 teams were using
this road continuously during the winter months.
A power house and other building are erected and a vertical
shaft sunk to 100 feet on the Mandy claim. A crosscut
is driven to the ore body and a drift and raise are made
in the chalcopyrite lens. The ore was loaded directly
from the shaft head by a tramway to barge that were towed
down Schist Creek and thence to the south side of Athapapuskow
Lake, hauled to Sturgeon Landing and thence to The Pas.
In this year 6 000 tons were shipped. The ore at the Mandy
has much the same composition as that of the Flin Flon
Lake deposit but owes its value chiefly to the rich chalcopyrite
in the middle of the lens. All the sulphides carry gold
and silver but the value of these minerals is not high
enough to warrant shipping for them alone. The segregation
of the high- grade copper ore, however makes it possible
to mine and ship that much of the lens, though it must
bear the excessive cost of transportation. Only the phenomenally
rich part of the deposit will be able to bear this expense.
A few small bodies of sulphides were also opened up but
nothing was found that was at all comparable to the two
original deposit at Flin Flon Lake and the Mandy claim,
both in Manitoba, close and to the east of Amisk Lake.
Robert Graham, for instance, directed assessment work
on a property north of Beaver Lake Gold Mining Company
which consisted of claims staked in 1914 by sales. This
Mother Lode Gold Mine was financed mainly by people living
in The Pas. A ten ton mill was build by a Duluth Minnesota,
company but ultimately the mine became inactive.
Diamond drilling commence, at Flin Flon and will continue
until July, 1918, when 44 holes represented 25,664 feet
Dardier leaves the Lake Athabasca area for good, no worthwhile
ore bodies having been discovered.
A Collision of two ships in the harbour cause an explosion
in which half of Halifax is destroyed, 1300 killed and
In the third year of its operation ( 1918-19) the Mandy
Mine shaft is sunk another 100 feet to the 200- foot level
to make possible mining from two levels. A total of 8,000
tons of ore is hauled by team a distance of 10 miles and
piled near the outlet of Schist Lake, whence it would
be hauled in 1919. Also 5,000 tons are hauled by team
from the mine to Sturgeon Landing. The Mandy Mining Company
takes over the boats from Ross Navigation Company and
handles all their transportation themselves on the Saskatchewan
River. The average load of a single team of horses for
the winter haul is 6.5 tons and the cost of transportation
37.5 cents per ton-mile. A total of 300 teams are employed.
Armistice signed between the Allies and Germany.
A fall in copper prices and the exhaustion of the riches
vein leads to the closing of the Mandy Mine. Most of the
equipment is sold to Canadian syndicate hoping to develop
the Flin Flon property. The work of transporting Mandy
ore has lasted four years. The first shipment was made
from The Pas in 1917, and the last August, 1920.
completes geological mapping in the Amisk Lake- Athapapuskow
Lake area in this, third, field season.
The Alberta research Council is established. In Saskatchewan
the Bureau of Labour and Industries starts its work. Both
organizations encompass geological work. The University
of Saskatchewan becomes involved in consultative work
for the government, with Professor W. G. Worcester, a
ceramic engineer, playing a major role.
approaches the mining Corporation of Canada, then winding
up their Cobalt, Ontario, silver operations, for re-financing
of the Flin Flon property. Turner, consulting engineer,
advises the Corporation purchase a 65 per cent interest
in Flin Flon. This is done and a new subsidiary of the
mining Corporation of Canada is created, the Manitoba
Metals Mining Company.
The first aerial photograph of northern Canada is taken
by Frank H. Ellis, northeast of Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan
on a flight to The Pas, Manitoba, from 3,000 feet.
After newspaper reports about the occurrence of enormous
beds of hematite, claims are staked for iron in the Fish
Hook Bay area on the north shore of Lake Athabasca, 56
miles east of the Alberta- Saskatchewan border and a few
miles east of the future Goldfields. Iron was known to
exist here since J.B.Tyrrell’s exploration of 1893.
Albert Gold Mines Limited acquires the gold mine northwest
of Amisk Lake from the beaver Lake Gold Mining Company.
The Evinrude outboard motor for canoe is now firmly establish
in the northern bushland.
placer gold flurry develops at the Waterhen River in which
the studer brothers, John, Ernest, and Adolph participate.
A. Allan and A. E. for the Government of Alberta, investigate
the reported iron occurrence at Fish Hook Bay, which caused
some excitement in the previous year. They find the deposits
of too low a grade to be economically exploitable and
discern no indications for a possible enrichment with
depth. Based on his travels in the area, Cameron also
published on the postglacial history of Lake Athabasca.
work in the Flin Flon area is done by Alcock for the G.S.C.
Delury investigates the Wapawekka- Dechambault area.
Delury continues his field work in the Wapawekka- Dechambault
Turner, knowing of their interests in the mining speculation,
corresponds with the offices of Harry Payne Whitney of
New York. Whitney forwarded turner reports on Flin Flon
to the westcoast office of Roscoe Harry Channing, who
was in charge of all Whitney mining interests. The letter-
was read by Robert Earlk Phelan, chief engineer, and resulted
in a visit to the Toronto office of the Mining Corporation
of Canada by the son of H.P. Whitney, Cornelius Vanderbilt
“Sonny” Whitney. Among the Whitney interests
was a company called Complex Ore Recoveries, headed by
Channing, and staffed by faculty from the Colorado School
of Mines. It was this group that would work on and solve
the metallurgical problems of Flin Flon ore.
John Hyslin and associates stake a gold property on the
east shore of a penninsula projecting north from the west
side of Missi Island, northern Amisk Lake. Native gold
is reported to occur in schist with pyrite crystal and
magnetite. Gold is panned from the rusty capping at several
points on the deposited. A 28 foot shaft and several trenches
along 1,200 feet of the shore comprise the working on
H.P. Whitney dispatches a party to the Flin Flon orebody
to investigate the feasibility of mining, which depends
on the quantity of ore and the availability of plentiful
electrical power needed for the beneficiation process
developed by Channing and his researchers. A source of
power is located at Island Falls, 60 miles to the north.
Eldorado Gold Mine Ltd., is incorporated by Gilbert Labine
to develop some gold properties, mainly in the Long Lake
District, Manitoba, where mining commences this year but
will be suspended in 1929 when the gold supply is depleted.
Hasting, on a mineral reconnaissance for the Saskatchewan
Bureau of Labour and Industries, reports the first indications
of gold in the La Ronge area. A sample from the copper
showing on the Moose Point, Lac la Ronge ( which was later
to become the Anglo- Rouyn Mine) returned a value of $
2.00 per ton gold; sample from the Lynx River and sulphide
Lake area returned gold values of 20 to 30 cents per ton.
A small power plant and pilot are built at the site of
the Flin Flon ore body. Waldron Alvord “Baldy”Green
superintendent of the constructed phases of the semi-
commercial- sized plant set up in 1926-27 under the direction
of Channing and Phelan met at the Pas with Gordon G. Duncan,
who serves as Channing’s assistant superintendent,
to discuss the planned movement of a huge tonnage of freight
to Flin Flon. During this period of organization of the
metallurgical works Duncan, who had received his technical
training from Channing, was the only Canadian in a supervisory
capacity at Flin Flon.
Copper-zinc sulphides are discovered on the shores of
Reindeer Lake at Paskwachi Bay.
founds Northern Aerial Minerals exploration Ltd. ( NAME),
with a plan to undertake mineral explorations with the
large fleet of airplanes around the rim of the Arctic
accepts the position of Professor and Head of the department
of geology at the University of Saskatchewan.
At Flin Flon, the power plant and pilot will are completed
and underground stoping is begun.
Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Ltd. ( H.B.M.&S.),
is formed with the Whitney interests holding 50 per cent,
Newmont Company 35 per cent and Mining Corporation of
Canada, 15 per cent. Channing became head of the entire
operation; Frank L. Crocker, personal attorney to H.P.Whitney,
Founding of Flin Flon, Manitoba. Construction of mine
and mill complex now underway.
attempt is made to re-activate the Mandy Mine but there
is to be no production and in 1930 the company becomes
staked by two trappers, Tremblay and Olsen, on the Rottenstone
Lake deposit were acquired by Ricahard Hall, MLA for Cumberland,
and his borther. They optioned the property to Comico.
The deposit, a gossan dome of decomposed ( rotten) rock
200 feet high rising abruptly at the east end of rottenstone
Lake, was discovered originally by local Indians who brought
it to the attention of traders in the early part of this
century. It assayed on the surface very high in nickel,
iridium, platinum, and other precious metals. Drilling
equipment was transported by horses from Prince Albert,
a distance of about 300 miles. Drilling, however, shows
the deposited to be small and uneconomic. Worked is abandoned.
Chatten stakes a gold property claim on the west side
of a peninsula projecting into the West Channel at the
northwest end of Amisk Lake.
Hayes stakes what is to become the Amisk Syndicate Mine
on the west shore of Comeback Bay, northeast of Amisk
Lake, Development consists of several pits and trenches,
a 40 foot adit, and one other adit.
stakes eight surveyed claims, named Duplex on the northwest
shore of Amisk Lake.
Explorers Ltd. Finds copper- nickel sulphide on Axis lake,
8 miles northwest of Stoney Rapids, but the grade proves
to be much too low for commercial exploitation.
Dr. R.C. Wallace leaves the University of Manitoba to
become Principal of Queen’s University, Delury returns
to Manitoba to succeed him as head of the Department of
options the Moose Point prospect and does some trenching
and drilling. The Flynn Saskatchewan Syndicate trenches
some mineralization near Sulphides lake.
Mammoth claims, a large sulphide deposit near Forbes Lake
staked by H.G. Montgomery and Pete Davidson, are investigated
by Cominco by means of a diamond- drilling program.
The first pick is struck in the ground at the site of
the permanent warehouse of H.B.M.& S. to mark the
beginning of construction of the Flin Flon mine and metallurgical
The Hudson Bay Railway ( without its roadbed) reaches
Roadbed of the Hudson Bay Railway is completed and the
line is ready for use by the CNR.
The Ace Deposit, in the southwestern part of Missi Island
is staked by R. Besler, Native gold is panned from the
rusty weathered porphyry that forms a capping on the deposit.
Development consists of four pits on the southwest side
of a large outcrop and three pits on its northwest side.
Mawdsley ( 1894- 1964) is appointed Professor and head
of the Department of Geology, University of Saskatchewan.
The stock market crash and ensuing depression adversity
prospecting for mineral deposits.
The total metallic mineral production of the Province
of Saskatchewan is less than $ 10,000.
starts at the Flin Flon Mine after metallurgical problems
have been solved. An expenditure of 4 27,000.00 has been
made by H.B.M.& S. The power for the mine comes from
Island falls on the Churchill River near Sandy Bay.
is done by J.D. Nicholson ( retired inspector of the Alberta
Provincial Police), field manger of the mineral Belt Locators
Syndicate, on a copper showing on their property in the
area between Cornwall bay and Fish Hook Bay. On this property,
which now become known as the “ Nicholson”
pitchblende will be discovered in 1935.
Gold Syndicate Co.Ltd, sink two inclined shafts to depth
of 125 and 30 feet on the property staked two years earlier
Boehme and associates stake a group of claims in “kisseynew-type”
rocks approximately 800 m north of the easternmost bay
in Mari Lake (Dolly claim).
Mineral rights vested in the crown are transferred from
the federal to the provincial government, except for those
affecting Indian reservations.
Discovery of pitchblende on the southeast shore of Great
Bear Lake by Labine of Eldorado Gold Mines. There the
Port Radium Mine would develop.
The Saskatchewan Department of Natural Resources ( DNR)
is created by act of the legislature to be the administrative
body of the mineral resources under it Mines Division
as the result of the transfer of all natural resources
from the federal to the provincial government. The staff
of the new department totals 135 of which 100 are transfered
from the dominion government and 35 from other department.
Patty Houlihan, A.S. Davenport and associates of Flin
Flon , stake four gold claims (Star, Sky, Sun, and Moon)
on Hanny Island located in the West Channel in the northwestern
part in Amisk Lake, west of Missi Island. Gold is panned
from a rusty weathered schist exposed in a trench and
a couple of pits.
An area north of Pelican Narrows is investigated by J.
Satterly for the GSC
reconnoiters a few unmapped areas in northern Saskatchewan
and obtains assay values of 0.07 and 0.08 ounces of gold
from a pair of grab samples in the Sulphides Lake Belt-
the first geological work undertaken by the DNR –
with, in his own words, “ disappointing results”.
In this his first investigation in the Precambrian Shield
area of Saskatchewan gold showing in the Amisk Lake area
were also visited. Many such subsequent studies by him
result in nine geological reports issued by the Department
of Natural ( later, Mineral) Resources, two reports for
the GSC, and several papers in scientific and technical
Sonora deposit is staked for gold by S. “ Shorty”
Russick and associates ( John Hyslin, Rudolph Singbell,
Roy Besler and Richard Nelson). It is located on the east
shore of the larger of two islands directly southwest
of Waverley Island, Amisk Lake. Seven trenches expose
the mineralization. A.J.Mcdonald and associates stake
and control six claims ( Royal) for gold on Parker Island,
north end of North Channel, Amisk Lake . C.M.Mitchell
stake gold claims between Wolverine Bay, Amisk Lake. And
Wolverine Lake. East of the south end of Wolverine Lake,
A.C. Symons stakes three claims for gold.
Henning and P. J. Maloney stake a claim for gold approximately
1.5 km south of the south end of Douglas Lake, and 0.3
km east of Bootleg Lake about 72 km south of Creighton,
The first ore goes through the crushing plant at Flin
Flon. In the space of 2 ½ years a railroad is build,
a hydro- electric plant erected on the Churchill River,
a high voltage power line build from Island Falls to Flin
Flon , a portion of Flin Flon Lake dammed and drained,
and both underground and open pit mining operation established.
With all building at Churchill completed, the Hudson Bay
Railway is officially declared open.
At the University of Saskatchewan a two- week course in
mineralogy and prospecting is taught by professor Mawdsley
and F.H. Edmunds. One of their students is Fred Peet who
the following summer will travel north to Port Radium,
Great Bear Lake, in the uranium rush that developed after
A research council is established in Saskatchewan as a
precursor of a geological survey but remains a budgetary
victim of the Great Depression.
work on the Waverley Island gold occurrence begins. One
trench dug is 130 feet long and another, about 200 feet
away, is 75 feet long with a 10- foot shaft at one end.
Other opening are made on the east side of the island.
Gold Syndicate Company cease operation.
gravel road reaches from Prince Albert north to the southern
end of Montreal Lake.
Studer, acting on the advice of Mawdskey, begins work
in the Sulphide Lake area, discovering several gold showing
in the 1932- 1937 period.
Symons discover a small quartz lens with abundant free
gold farther south from the claims he staked the previous
W.W. Bowes build a 10-ton mill and did considerable development
1933- work on the Graham property ( Amisk Lake area).
Some gold showing in the area.
J.F. Wright and C.H. Stockwell, both officers of the GSC,
showing in the area.
T. Latena, and J.Tikanen of Flin Flon stake 30 claims
for gold on the southeast shore of Douglas Lake, about
2 miles south-south-west of Creighton. A grade of 0.458
ounces of gold per ton and 15 per cent arsenic is reported.
chadwick discovers the neutron.
the Amisk Lake- Flin Flon area, Man- Sask Gold Mines Limited
sinks a vertical shaft and carries out underground development
near the south end of Phantom Lake, south of Flin Flon.
Small quantities of gold are taken from the shaft. Henning-
Maloney Gold Mines LTD, is formed and the company sinks
a two- compartment vertical shaft to the depth of 160
feet with the level at 125 and 150 feet and carries out
underground development naer the south of Bootleg Lake.
Beda and associates form the Flin Flon Gold Mining Synicate
Limited. Considerable drilling is done on the property,
located on the east side of Douglas Lake, Amisk Lake area,
which indicates at the 30 m level, grading $ 10. 50 per
ton gold across a width of 0.9 m.
Tom Box ( from Edmonton) and Gus Nyman two prospectors
discover gold by Vick Lake, a small lake between Lodge
Bay and Neiman Bay on the north shore of Lake Athabasca.
Their 17 claims are taken up by Cominco which develops
the Box Mine. Ore samples from the cliams contain not
only not only gold but also nickel, copper , molybdenum,lead
, and silver. Shortly after the discovery, J.E. Day and
associates of Toronto stake the Murmac group ( later Tranferred
to Murmac Lake Athabasca Mines Limited) to the east. This
followed by general staking by residents of Fort Chipewyan.
Subsequently Great Bear Lake Mines Limited ( in 1935 renamed
Athona Mines Ltd ) stake the Lucky- Willy groups southeast
of the Vick group. Prospectors C.W. Shearing and R. Alloway
stake several groups of claims for the Northwest Minerals
in the Caldwell Bay area. Athabasca- Beaverlodge Gold
Mines Limited stakes the Yah group in the Fish Hook Bay
area. Also, the Melma group ( later owned by Athabasca
Portal Gold mInes Limited is staked, southwest of the
Lucky- Willy group. E Cody. O. Knutson, and J.G. Paulsen
stakes the Bearcat group, near Wabba Lake.
The GSC understakes an extensive program of reconnaisance
mapping of the Precambrian Shield in Saskatchewan, resulting
in 24 geological maps to the scale of 1 inch to 4 miles
and covering 42,00 square miles. Party chiefs were F.J.
Alcock G. M. Furnival, M.L. Keith. R. C. Murphy, J.C.
Sproule, and J.F.Wright.
Flin Flon Gold Mines Limited commences work on the Tikkanen
property. Monarch Gold Miners Synicates lease the gold
deposit held by Prince Albert Gold Mines Limited in the
Amisk Lake area. The company deepens the original propect
shaft and establishes two underground levels.
fields established. Work start on the 1, 000- ton mill
and Cominco develops a hydro- electric power plant on
the Wellington River, 22 miles from Goldfields, which
was needed to power the mine and mill.
drilling commences on the Cominco Box and Great Bear Lake
( Athona) properties, Lake Athabasca. The Star group (
later transferred to Greenlee Mines Limited) is staked
southwest of the Melma group.
Bearcat group of claims is transferred to Ventures Limited.
for the GSC, Alcock maps some 400 squares miles on the
north shore of Lake Athabasca. The provisional topographic
sheets, which he uses in the mapping in the Tazin Lake,
Fond Du Lac, and Stoney Rapids areas are prepared by the
Topographical Survey Branch of Canada Department of the
Interior from oblique aerial photographs, taken by the
RCAF, Alcock uses float-equipped aircraft to visit his
field parties. He didvides his field crew into groups,
each consisting of four men with two canoes. E.A.Hart
assisited by B.A.Valde, S.L. Tallman, and G. Munthe, covered
the area from Alberta boundary eastward to Canary Bay
and the northward to Tazin Lake. J.Anderson Thomson, with
F.E.Hogg, E.G. Tallman , and Earl Till, mapped the region
drained by Charlot and Crackingstone Rivers. E.S. Carpentar,
with W.G.Robinson, W.N. Mulock and W.G Cameron, worked
eastward from Tazin Lake up the Tazin River and down through
the country drained by the upper Oldman River to Beaverlodge
Lake. D.T. Willis, assisted by W.G. Gallup, J.G. Thibault,
and J.R. Talbot, covered the area drained by Bulyea River
north of Fond Du Lac. A. E. Moss, with B. Sigurdson,
Gold is discovered in quartz veins at the narrows, on
the north shore of Lake Athabasca, 70 miles to the east
flon gold mining syndicate, limited sinks a vertical shaft
starts extensive underground development on the east shore
of Douglas lake.
Athona mines performs extensive diamond drilling, shaft
sinking, and underground development, which reveals a
large tonnage of low-grade ore. Operations discontinue
in 1939 due to financial problems.
metallic mineral production for the province exceeds $8
000 000 in value.
Prospectors J.B. Coffyne and J. Krauchi pan gold from
gossan on the Jojay property near Bog Lake, 4 miles west
of Windrum Lake. The discovery initiated considerable
staking in the area. Cominco, the most active company,
staked several groups of claims and along with Coffyne,
Krauchi, and L. Garski, discovered several gold showings
throughout the Star-Waddy Lake area during 1940 –
Henning-Maloney Mine no longer active. The headframe and
large dumps remain at the mine site.
Brain stakes what is to become the Flexar Mine, near Flin
Flon as a gold property. H.B.M.& S. develops it for
its copper content.
prospecting for uranium ore on provincially held land,
previously restricted to Eldorado, is opened to the public,
first under permit agreements and then, after these expired,
by claim staking which proceeded at a great pace. Eldorado
starts to sink the Ace shaft down to the uranium deposits
on the St. Louis Fault. Eldorado is appointed Canada’s
agent for the purchase of all uranium produced in Canada
and its sale to the United States Atomic Energy Commission
and the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority. This remains
in force until 1971.
1949: Radioactive pegmatites are found on the north shore
of Black Lake and to the north of Charlebois Lake.
the Pitching Lake deposit, known prior to 1924, is explored
for copper. A pit measuring 78 feet by 65 feet and 20
feet deep, and a 42-foot shaft expose the original discovery
at hunter Falls on Drinking River at the south end of
Pitching Lake, approximately 50 miles northeast of La
Ronge. A 235-foot adit driven into another sulphide body
1.5 miles to the northeast is connected by a trail to
the exploration programme
Construction of Uranium City by the provincial government,
with the input of Eldorado, begins. The Municipality of
Uranium City is established.
Mining Corporation of Canada Limited discovers three gold
showings near Wedge Lake. One of these would be diamond-drilled
the next year.