History

The White Bear First Nation is located 13 kilometres north of Carlyle and is 12040 hectares in size.  The total population of this first nation is around 1800, with an estimated 715 residing on-reserve.  The original chief, Wahpemakwa (1874-1876), signed Treaty No. 4 on behalf of the members in 1875 with a population of 82 or 24 families.  The traditional languages spoken are Cree and Assiniboine.