History

This reserve was named after it’s first Chief, Okanis, who signed an adhesion to treaty four on September 9, 1875. The Okanese band settled in the File Hills area along with Peepeekisis, Little Black Bear and Starblanket. Okanis was the Chief until the Saskatchewan Rebellion in 1885 of which he refused to cooperate in. Therefore, he returned to the United States where he died.

The Okanese reserve is located approximately 16 kilometres north and 5 kilometres east of Balcarres. This reserve is approximately 15,000 acres in size with another 14,744.7 in Treaty Land Entitlement acres which have yet to be developed.

The population of the Band was at 104 in 1879 and as of today there are 459 members with 225 of these residing on the reserve.

Chiefs:

1875 - 1885      Okanis
1885 - 1895      Headman Moostooacoop
1895 - 1935      No Chief
1935 (9 months)    Day Walker
1935 - 1941      Willie Yuzicappi
1941 - 1953      No Chief
1953 - ?            James Tuckanow
Year?-               Micheal Yuzicappi
1975 - 1980        Art Walker
1983 - 1999      Marie-Anne Day Walker-Pelletier