There are seven different reserves registered under English
River Band. La Plonge which is located near Beauval, Wapachewunak which
is near Patuanak, Ile A La Crosse, Elak Dase, Knee Lake, Dipper Rapids,
and Primeau Lake. All are found in the far northern region of Saskatchewan.
These reserves covers approximately 12,492 hectares. In the early 1920ís
there were about 200 people which has grown over the decades to a current
population of over a 1,000 people with 584 living on reserve.
This reserve emerged from the signing of Treaty 10
in 1906. Prior and succeeding Treaty 10, the native economy evolved around
the fur trade and later focused on commercial fishing. The name originates
from English River where the Poplar House People inhabited for periods
during the year, including during treaty payments. Years ago this reserves
was known as Grassy Narrows Reserve. The people of the English River Band
chose land around lakes for the assurance of wildlife, fish, and thick
vegetation. The descendants of the Poplar House People speak the language
The original leader of the English River Band was Chief William Apisis
(chief at signing of treaty).